What's Up Wednesday

What’s Up Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Erin L Funk and Jaime Morrow, and the idea is to let other bloggers know where you are with any writing and reading goals you may have.



1. What I'm reading

I finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows last Friday - it only took me four days to read, but it never takes me long to read Deathly Hallows because I can never put it down once I've picked it up. It's my favourite of the entire series. After I'd read it I didn't pick up another book for a while, because I was in that post-Harry Potter depression I always have once I've finished the series, when I realise that there isn't any more to read! 

I'm over that now, though, so I've started reading Underworld by Meg Cabot. It's the second book in a series - I read the first one earlier in the year, and I've had this one waiting on my kindle for a while. The first book was a little disappointing, so I'm hoping this one will be better. The series is based on Greek mythology, which I love, so it's an enjoyable read anyway.

2. What I'm writing

I'm deep in NaNo preparation this week, outlining, researching and doing character sketches. It's a lot of fun, and it's making me really excited for November - just over a week to go!

I'm also editing my Halloween stories for the three blog-hops I'm participating in next week. They all need a lot of work, but I'm sure I can make them sufficiently spooky in time for next week. 

3. What else I've been up to

Some of you know that I did a Creative Writing Masters degree last year (that's what the dissertation I handed in in September was for). Well today I'm going to do a reading for the people doing the degree this year with the rest of the group from last year. We all created an anthology of our work together, so we'll be reading from that.

4. What inspires me right now

Right now I'm inspired by the research I'm doing for my NaNo novel; it's really interesting, and it's giving me a lot of ideas for my novel. I'm also inspired because I've actually got an outline; it's only a basic one, but it's already more in depth than the one I used for Camp NaNo last year! I just can't wait for November to come so I can start writing.

Comments

  1. Good luck with your NaNo preparation Laura, I can't wait to hear how it all goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's cool the class created an anthology.
    I saw there were a lot of blogfests next week for Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for NaNo! :) I added you as a buddy, too. And I know the Harry Potter book hangover feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PHPS: Post Harry Potter Syndrome. It's a common phenomenon, experienced by readers after closing the cover of book 7, realizing there's no more, and wondering if there's really anything else worth reading. The effect is temporary, but can go on for days. :)

    I'm not doing NaNo this year, but I'm glad you're excited and raring to go. Last year I was semi-prepared. Next time I do NaNo, I'll do it as completely unprepared as I can be--perhaps with nothing more than a premise. I want to test how much of a pantser I am. :)

    Have a fun week, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with your reading today! What a great opportunity. I'm sure it will be fun and you'll do a fantastic job. And good luck with NaNo too, I will be cheering you on in November. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you're ready for NaNo! I haven't started outlining yet- I really need to get on that!
    I get the same feeling when I finish reading Harry Potter and I don't want to pick up another book for days after.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear your planning, brainstorming, etc. for NaNo is going well. I too am doing NaNo, we should be friends! My username is rffaubion.

    I've been wanting to reread Harry Potter for a while. Maybe once my schedule slows down a bit, I'll be able too. But, I understand what you mean about Potter blues.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've just finished my 3rd book for the week (granted, two were really short), and now I have to stop being a bibliophile and be a person. Where is that magic switch anyway?

    Here's wishing you much luck with NaNo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best of luck with the NaNo prep! You should totally share your sketches :D Hope it all goes well and have a lovely week ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am looking forward to your tales for Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck with Nano! SO awesome that you are so excited and that your research is inspiring you! Good luck! I look forward to your updates!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hearing about everyone deep in NaNo preparation this week makes me feel like I'm not doing enough. Eek. I need to do more character development before it starts probably :)
    Best of luck with Nano!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Laura. Only a week! Egad! I am doing NaNo for the fourth time and haven't had a moment to get my head around my project, let alone do an outline which I promised myself I would do. Sigh. Three Halloween blogfests. Me tool I'm not sure how I"m going to combine them/separate them yet. I am so excited to have you on board. I'm hoping to hit 30 this time -- only 3 to go!! Woo hoo! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh...and research is my favourite part. Maybe I'll just research for the whole of November, lol!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WEP August - Change of Heart

IWSG - July 2018

The Beginnings Blogfest!