New Year Resolutions!

Happy New Year, everybody!

2012 has been quite a good year for me. This time last year, I didn't know what I wanted to do in life. I didn't write, I didn't blog, all I did was work; it was a pretty boring life! And then I started my blog on a whim, and it all snowballed from there! I found out that I loved blogging, and through blogging I found that I really loved writing, and creating stories of my own. If I hadn't started my blog, I doubt I'd be in the middle of a Creative Writing Masters right now; in fact, my life would probably be the same as it was this time last year.

One of the main things that has inspired me this year and helped me on the right path is the blogosphere, so I'm taking this opportunity to thank each and every one of you for reading my blog, and commenting, and for encouraging me. Thank you all for being so amazing. I honestly think that starting this blog was the best thing that I've done this year.

So, onto my resolutions, starting with a couple of generic ones:

1. Stop swearing - I've gotten into the habit of swearing quite a lot, and I don't like swearing, so I thought I'd add it to my list.

2. Save money - I'm going to open a savings account and save £50 a month (hopefully). I never have any money when I really need it, so I thought it would be a good idea to open a savings account. My sister opened one last year and she's managed to save quite a lot of money. I'll certainly need it when I start paying my Masters loan back in October!

3. Read more - As you may have noticed, I've added a Goodreads widget on my blog (on the left). I've challenged myself to read 50 books this year. I have no idea whether or not I'll manage it, as I don't think I even read half of that last year, but I'm hoping that I'll try harder because I've joined an actual challenge!

4. Write more - One of the main tips you're given as a writer is to write every day, whether you want to or not, so I'm going to try to write every single day, even if it is just a little.

5. Do really well with my Masters - I really want to do well, so I'm going to work as hard as I can on my assignments to ensure that I do.

6. Learn to play the piano - I bought a piano over a year ago with the intention of learning to play it, and I have yet to learn one full song. Since starting my Masters I haven't had the time, but I'm hoping I'll find time this year - I really want to be able to play something all the way through!

7. Horseriding - I want to start going horseriding again, even if it is just once a month.

There you have it, my goals for this year. What are your new year resolutions?


Comments

  1. I like all of these resolutions Laura, especially the horseriding one, it's something you love so I think you should take advantage of that. Nice idea too on the swearing, I swear way too much and I don't like that either, here's hoping 2013 is a great year for you, I'm glad that you started this blog in all honesty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope 2013 is a great year for you, too, you deserve it! Thanks for being such a great follower :)

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year Miss Laura I hope you have a great 2013. Good luck on the resolutions. I like the first one, I do not swear very much I like to think of it as something to use on special occasions, as it has far more impact then.

    Having said that one of those special occasions is DIY

    And I would be fairly chilled about the piano for now as life is taking you down the route of the wondrous world of words.

    I look forward to reading more of your blog during the coming year . . . . . . take care, be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Happy New Year! I think I'll have to save my swearing for special occasions, too :)
      Those are wise words about the piano, and I think I'll take notice.
      I look forward to all of your future blog posts, too :)

      Delete
  3. Best of luck with all your goals, my friend. I hope you have a wonderful 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great goals! I like the piano one best, mostly because I also bought a keyboard and still can't play it properly. Hope you have a fun and happy 2013. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one! You too, Happy New Year! :)

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year!

    I don't have any resolutions but maybe I should join you on the paino one. I can play but recently discovered, due to a two year absence from the instrument, that my fingers have mostly forgotten which order to play things in. :-S

    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to get so far through a song, then I don't play it for a few months so when I do eventually go back to it I have to start from the beginning again. Oh well, I'll get there eventually!

      Delete
  6. Those are great goals! I need to work on saving money too. It's good to have a rainy-day fund in case of emergency. Good luck with all of your goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's what I thought, just in case I need it :)

      Delete
  7. These are great! I wish you lots of luck! So glad I have someone doing the challenge with me! Now you have to complete it or I'll tell you off!

    Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ok, same to you then! We'll help each other out :)
      Happy New Year!

      Delete
  8. Happy new year! Aaaahhh, horseriding. I haven't done that since I was 11. I really miss it. (Never had any lessons though - long story.)

    Sounds like a bunch of good resolutions! You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I used to go all the time when I was little, I was really good, but then I stopped for ages and every time I start up again I get so far then stop going for ages. I want to get really good again so I can go for a gallop!
      Happy New Year :)

      Delete
  9. I completely forgot al about resolutions, oops! I've tried to stop swearing many times, but it's so hard - I was brought up with swearing so it's hard-wired into my brain. Good luck with your Masters :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never really swore very much until last year, then suddenly I started swearing all the time! My mum keeps telling me off (a bit rich considering I'm sure I got it off her) so I thought I'd make it a resolution! Thanks :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WEP August - Change of Heart

IWSG - July 2018

The Beginnings Blogfest!