My First Ever ISWG!

I've been meaning to participate in Alex J. Cavanaugh's Insecure Writer's Group for months, but I've never got around to it, until today!


My main writing insecurities at the minute are related to the two assignments that are due in on the 16th of January for my Creative Writing Masters. One is a portfolio, which must contain quite a lot of different pieces of my writing, including notes, edits and the final piece. I'm pretty confident about this. It's the other assignment I'm worried about. It involves taking a 21st Century play written by somebody else and adding a completely new character to it. I'm finding this very difficult; deciding which play to use, how big the scene should be, what character I should add to it. 

I've chosen a play (although the scene I'm using is quite long, so I'm hoping there isn't a limit) and I know what character I want to add, it's just adding that character that I'm finding difficult. 

However, I have turned a corner with this assignment; at the weekend I hadn't even picked a play, and now I have firmly picked a scene and a character to add to it, so I'm a lot less worried than I was. I spent the day yesterday adding my new character into the scene, and although I had a minor meltdown last night because I thought I'd chosen wrong, I'm fairly confident about it now. I know what I need to do to make it work, I just need to do it. Luckily I have the next three days off work, so I'll have a lot of time!

I've also joined the 100k in 100 days challenge, and I'm quite confident about it. I did about 1700 words yesterday, which is good, I think. It's easier than NaNoWriMo, and blog posts can be included in the word count, so that's a bonus. 


Overall, I'm feeling pretty confident about my writing, but I will be relieved when these assignments are done! 

Comments

  1. I love the concept of the insecure writer's group so it's cool to see you joining in on the action, great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to IWSG. Sounds like you are going to be busy over the next few days but I'm sure you'll get there. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sort of challenges are good and force you outside what you might otherwise write, which in the long run will make you a better writer. On the other hand you are a good writer already so be confident and go for it.

    You see that first thing I would just choose a play like Cats and add a Flea complaining about all the singing and the lack of any mention in the programme available for a small fee in the foyer . . . . . Not what they had in mind I suspect

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your assignments, and 100K! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you decided to join in! IWSG is great! Good luck with your assignments and with your 100K in 100 days challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I've never heard of 100k in 100 days. That does sound easier than NaNo. Welcome to IWSG!

    Allison (Geek Banter)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you have a full plate, but sometimes that brings the best out of us. Good luck, and welcome to IWSG!

    J.W. Alden

    ReplyDelete
  8. Challenge is good! You've filled your plate and I'm sure you'll succeed!

    I'm going to check out 100k in 100 days too. Sounds like a great goal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome to the group! :)

    IWSG #137 until Alex culls the list again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to the IWSG!
    That is quite a challenge. Creative Writing Masters is impressive though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome to IWSG. I thought you were already participating, but I guess that just shows how little attention I've been paying.

    That play assignment would give me nightmares. Mostly because I know nothing about plays. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds like an interesting assignment (adding a character). It would make a good writing exercise. Good luck with your assignments, and welcome to the IWSG!

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome to the group and Happy New Year! Good luck with your assignments . . . a master's in Creative Writing sounds challenging and fun. I see you enjoy horse riding--just got back from taking my 8-yr-old~cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that does seem like a tough assignment, good luck! I'm also feeling insecure about deadlines - summer writing workshop applications are due in the next month or so. Onward!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome to IWSG! :) That does sound like a touch challenge, but I'm glad you are figuring it out. I like to sometimes imagine new characters in movies I watch if that helps you out to practice.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome to IWSG. Your projects sound fun;) I've never seen the 100k challenge either. I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an interesting assignment? Sounds like a lot of fun and you seem to have a handle on it. I think we all have a little anxiety when we start something new, but then we work through it and before we know it, we are on the right track.
    Good luck on the rest of the assignment and on 100K in 100 Days.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good for you, facing your fears. I don't really have any form of writing anxiety anymore. I used to worry about what people might think, how it could be received, or negative feedback. But I stopped caring when I realized that it didn't really matter and negative feedback meant I had ways to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  19. 100K for a 100 Days sounds like a great challenge, and good for you for tackling that tough assignment!
    Welcome to IWSG!!! Sorry I'm a day behind in touching base.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WEP August - Change of Heart

IWSG - July 2018

The Beginnings Blogfest!