Abandon by Meg Cabot!

I've always been a fan of Meg Cabot's novels, so I was really excited when I saw this one on sale and bought it right away. It had an interesting premise, and looked like it would make a really good read. Here is the synopsis from Goodreads:

Last year, Pierce died - just for a moment. And when she was in the space between life and death, she met John: tall dark and terrifying, it’s his job to usher souls from one realm to the next.

There’s a fierce attraction between them, but Pierce knows that if she allows herself to fall for John she will be doomed to a life of shadows and loneliness in the underworld. But now things are getting dangerous for her, and her only hope is to do exactly what John says…

Favourite Character: My favourite character was John, unsurprisingly! He's a flawed character, and those are the characters I like best! 

Least favourite Character: Pierce's grandmother was my least favourite character; she wasn't a very likeable character to begin with but by the end I hated her!

Positive Aspects: I loved the idea of the book, and that it was about the underworld and near death experiences. I also liked the romance aspect, although it was a little rushed. 

Negative Aspects: The novel seemed to be quite rushed, and it didn't flow very smoothly for me. The big reveal at the end of the novel seemed to come out of nowhere, there wasn't any foreshadowing or anything that led up to it. Also, you didn't see much of John during the story, or the villains, which I think should have been more central to the story. 

Overall, I enjoyed reading the novel but it could have been better. I'll definitely be reading the next in the series which comes out later this year. I'd give this book 3.5 out of 5 stars :)

Apologies for the lack of a post on Saturday, I've been really busy what with work and Camp NaNo! I think I'm going to use my Saturday posts as updates on how I'm doing with Camp NaNo, rather than posting flash fiction like I would usually. 
My progress for Camp NaNo is going quite well; the first day I did really well but after that I had work every day so barely managed to write the minimum! I have been keeping up, though, and I should get a lot written today, tomorrow and Wednesday as I don't have to work. 
Also, somehow I managed to blow the whole light system in our house the other day by turning on a light switch, so my mum and I are living in darkness at the minute! The only light which works is the kitchen light, so we've been carrying candles around - feel like I'm living in medieval times! It certainly makes it interesting putting my make-up on in a morning! 

Comments

  1. I'm glad that you enjoyed the book even though it seemed rushed and that grandmother sounds like a vile character, sorry that your light system is messed up too, hopefully it gets fixed soon, best of luck with writing for this project too Laura, I know it's gonna be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this one at the library. I'll have to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good, I'm hoping the sequel is better though! :)

      Delete
  3. I usually like her too, but I wasn't too sure about this one. Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an interesting story, but few things annoy me more when I read as if the writer rushed through the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it really put me off the book! I'm hoping the sequel is better :)

      Delete
  5. I like to read your opinion about books.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WEP August - Change of Heart

IWSG - July 2018

The Beginnings Blogfest!