Halo by Alexandra Adornetto!

Today I'm going to deviate from my normal routine of reviewing a series I've read, and review a book I finished a couple of weeks ago. Halo by Alexandra Adornetto is about three angels who come down to Earth on a mission to stop all of the bad things happening, most likely because of dark forces. Bethany, the youngest of the angels, then falls in love with a boy from the school that she attends, which is against the rules, of course!
Taken from here
Favourite Character: My favourite character was Xavier, the boy who Bethany falls in love with. Throughout the novel he's very kind and genuine, and cares a lot for Bethany.

Least Favourite Character: It would probably be Bethany herself, actually...she's one of those girls that, once she falls in love, she relies on her boyfriend for everything. At one point during the novel, Xavier and Bethany break up for a short period, and Bethany spends that time laying in bed grieving. What annoyed me most was that they broke up for a really stupid reason, and if she'd just explained things to Xavier properly, it needn't have happened.

Positive Aspects: I liked the initial idea for the story, and the fact that we're seeing it from the angel's point of view, rather than the human they fall in love with.


Negative Aspects: The main negative aspect was Bethany's character - at some points during the novel, she acts exactly like an annoying teenager and I didn't expect that from an angel! The story was also quite typical, with the 'human falling in love with the supernatural being' storyline, although like I said, it was nice to see it from the supernatural being's perspective. I found the ending to be quite anticlimactic, I thought it would be a lot more dramatic than it was. Also I expected more from the angels and their 'mission' - they really didn't do very much during the novel, just some charity work.

This book is part of a series, but I haven't decided yet whether to read the next one. This one didn't pull me in very much, and I didn't feel any urgency to read it to find out what happens next.

Comments

  1. Even though this book does sound kind of girly, I think I really like the sounds of it for some reason, like the premise is really interesting sounding, the only thing that seems to drag it down is the protagonist herself being a little too dependent. I hope you do read at least another book in the series because I want to know if it gets any better haha, so please keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly will keep you updated, I'll probably give the second book a try, but I don't know when - I have a long list! :)

      Delete
  2. I've heard a lot of hype about this book, but I'm just not interested in angel stories. Angels and vampires I mostly stay away from :)

    Allison (Geek Banter)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite like some angel/vampire stories, but this one just didn't do much for me. I like books that you really don't want to stop reading, not for anything. :)

      Delete
  3. Love the cover and the premise. This sounds interesting, and the main character has the same name as my daughter. I may have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does have a lovely cover :) I loved the idea behind it, but it disappointed me a little. Still a good read, though :)

      Delete
  4. I am terrible at reading, but still about so keep up the good work.......

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of this book but I it doesn't sound all that great from your review so I'll give it a miss lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's nothing special, I don't blame you :)

      Delete
  6. I've heard about Halo before, although I almost want to say I saw it's query or something for some competition or another.

    I must say, for a mission sending angels to earth, it sounds pretty... not... epic. :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I was expecting a lot more from their mission! I mean, it's the first book in a series, so maybe there's more in the next one, but I really was expecting more than a bit of charity work.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WEP August - Change of Heart

IWSG - July 2018

The Beginnings Blogfest!